Thursday, September 26, 2013

Withnail & I (1987)

Director: Bruce Robinson
Writer:    Bruce Robinson
Cast:       Richard E.Grant, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths

Two unemployed but educated wannabe actors wasting away their lives in London in the late 60s go to countryside for a weekend. A middle aged homosexual uncle of one of them is also there in the mix to complicate the situation.

I had seen the film before and thought it was just good. Recently came across a thread about it in the Liverpool Forum I frequent (RAWK), in which people were again waxing lyrical about the film which shows the cult following it enjoys, I decided to revisit. Enjoyed it much more this time round with me being more familiar with the nature of British comedies. The film is full of quotable lines and the ending is really heartbreaking. Bruce Robinson has just made four films in his career with the latest being 'The Rum Diary'. 

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment